For my family, education was a way out of poverty and provided an opportunity for us to accomplish our dreams. Children and families in District 13, and across the state, deserve to have the same opportunity. That’s why I’m committed to serving on the Texas State Board of Education and promoting policies that help Texas children thrive and succeed. I believe Texas children deserve:
Rigorous Instruction – Children who grow up in Texas must be prepared to compete with children from around the globe. As a former teacher, I understand the importance of developing learning standards that set high expectations for all kids. As a Board Member, I commit to ensuring that Texas:
- Develops rigorous learning standards that are aligned to college and workforce expectations and prepare all students for success.
- Adopts historically and scientifically accurate textbooks and curriculum.
- Ensures that teachers and students have access to high-quality instructional materials
Great Teachers and Principals - Teachers and principals play a critically important role in securing the success of students. In fact, research has proven that teachers are the most important in-school factor contributing to student achievement. We must continue to invest in recruiting, training, and retaining the most effective teachers and administrators. As a Board Member, I commit to ensuring that Texas:
- Adopts policies that help attract effective teachers and principals to the profession.
- Provides on-going professional development for teachers and principals that help them meet the needs of students.
- Works closely with educators to inform the educator certification process.
Excellent Schools – Children and families across Texas deserve excellent schools. Excellent schools are places where children are nurtured, challenged, and prepared for success. These are places where children thrive and adults are fully committed to the students and families they serve. As a Board Member, I will work hard to ensure that Texas schools:
- Prioritize the needs of students.
- Develop professional staff that can deliver strong outcomes for students.
- Establish a culture of high expectations for all students.